Thursday, November 16, 2017

Creating World Music in the Classroom

Indian music played on the sitar is known for its underlying drone upon which the performer improvises. This drone concept can be easily reproduced in the classroom using guitars or, in my classroom, metallophones. To create a drone, I would have students play C and G together on the metallophone as a steady beat. The metal metallophone bar will ring and create a drone effect. Next, I would demonstrate how to improvise. I would start simple, by having students play only 8 quarter notes, but picking any bars they would like to play within a C pentatonic scale. I would remind them, when improvising you do not always have to change the pitch or bar, but you can play the same one twice. Using a C pentatonic scale will allow all improvisations to sound "good" without clashing tones in the ensemble. Then, we would further explore improvising by playing quarter notes and eighth notes. I would allow all students a turn to improvise over the drone. Although you may not have cultural specific instruments, you can always expose your students to musical concepts practiced in other cultures with the resources you do have within your classroom.
 
Title: Raag Khamaj
Performers: Ravi Shankar, Anoushka Shankar, and others
Culture of Origin: India
Instrumentation: sitar and tablas

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kellie,

    Thank you for sharing this video, and your thoughts on creative experiences and world musics. I like your idea of using a drone during improvisation to help students make connections with Indian music. As a strings teacher, I could implement a similar plan. I also think it is important with beginning composers and improvisors to set parameters, as you have done here with the pentatonic scale and choices in rhythm. I find this structure gives the students confidence and keeps them from feeling overwhelmed. Then, you can gradually progress to activities with fewer and fewer restrictions.

    Out of curiosity, do you have previous experience using these types of improvisation activities in your classes (with or without world musics)? Thank you again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t actually done this in my classroom yet, but I have wanted to for a long time. I think the idea of the kids improving still makes me nervous.

    ReplyDelete